Starr Insurance Companies’ Defense Base Act department offers Federal Workers' Compensation and Employer’s Liability Insurance, as required and/or established by applicable statutes, to U.S. government contractors working outside of the United States.
Starr’s experienced underwriting staff seamlessly integrates claims handling, 24-hour emergency medical and travel assistance, and loss control. We can also coordinate service delivery for Defense Base Act coverage along with other complementary product lines for Foreign Voluntary Workers’ Compensation, Accident & Health, and Kidnap, Ransom & Extortion.
Our continued focuses are compliance and responsiveness to customer needs, tailoring our programs to each of our clients. Any insured can request a customized service protocol in order to support the unique requirements of their business.
Starr Insurance Companies was awarded the sole source Defense Base Act (DBA) insurance contract for the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) effective May 11th, 2022*. We are committed to providing excellent coverage and consistent service and responsiveness to participating USAID contractors who rely on this important insurance program to help protect their employees wherever they’re deployed. Starr is a leading provider of DBA insurance for US government contractors operating in foreign markets worldwide.Apply for Coverage Now
- Shipping & Logistics
- Communications / Telecommunications
- Computer & Information Systems
- Engineering / Architects
- Training & Education
- Defense Base Act - Statutory
- Employer’s Liability Coverage
- Foreign Voluntary Workers’ Compensation
- Accident & Health
- Kidnap, Ransom & Extortion
- Board Certified, In-House Safety Professionals
- Safety Training, Posters and Incentivization
- Safety Loss Control and Culture Survey
- Safety Management Mentoring Program
- Pre- and Post-Deployment Questionnaires
- Loss Analysis and Industry Comparisons
- OSHA 10 and 30-Hour Training
- Emergency Response Plan (ERP) Services
- Soft Tissue Testing Program (Emerge Diagnostics)
- Cutting-edge technology for soft-tissue testing
- FDA approved medical device
- Five simultaneous tests: Range of Motion, Electromyography, Function Capacity Test, Pinch Test and Grip Test
- Quicker return to work times
- Lower claim costs / lower premiums
- Site-specific treatment recommendations for work-related conditions
- Can identify and age an injury to determine change in condition and better treatment for work-related conditions
- Objective findings
- Legally defensible
- Offered to all Defense Base Act clients
- Objectively document compliance, malingering and pain
- Gallagher Bassett is Starr Insurance Companies partner in Defense Base Act claims processing. Their international network and dedicated Starr specific Defense Base Act claims team manages claims locally and globally for our clients.
- Providing the insured:
- Care Management
- Back to Work Programs
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Litigation Management
- Management Information Services (RMIS) allows Starr the ability to offer flexible and comprehensive claims data systems for their customers
- Accident investigation
- Preferred relationship with a premier provider of such services with 80 owned agencies around the world, to provide Emergency Medical and Transportation Services.
- Flexibility to utilize other Medical Evacuation providers if the insured desires.
Coverages described herein are underwritten by Starr Indemnity & Liability Company. Starr Insurance Companies is a marketing name for the operating insurance and travel assistance companies and subsidiaries of Starr International Company, Inc. and for the investment business of C. V. Starr & Co., Inc. and its subsidiaries. The coverages described in this document are only a brief description of available insurance coverage. It is intended for general information purposes only and does not provide any guidance regarding specific coverage available or any claim made thereunder. Any policy described herein will contain limitations, exclusions and termination provisions. Not all coverages are available in all jurisdictions. For costs and complete details of specific policy coverage, please contact an insurance professional by sending an email to the address provided above.